EU Settlement Scheme

People from European countries living in this country before 1 January 2021 can continue up to 30 June 2021 to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. If you have staff who are non-UK EU nationals and they have yet to apply, please encourage them to do so.

The Association of Directors of Adult Social Services is pleased to announce that it now has a dedicated web page to provide general advice and guidance regarding the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) that relates to people needing care and support and which can be accessed by members of the public, local authorities, carers and care sector organisations.

Achieving settled status is important as otherwise people may find that they have no recourse to public funding.

What status will the person be issued with?

  • Pre-settled status
    If you are granted pre-settled status (also known as limited leave to remain or enter) this means that you can stay in the UK for a period of five years. This will allow you to remain in the UK until you are eligible for settled status. Pre settled status gives you the right to work, rent, claim benefits and to access the NHS.
  • Settled status
    If you are granted settled status (also known as indefinite leave to remain or enter) this means, there is no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK and will have rights as a British citizen.

Guidance from Care Provider Alliance

The Care Provider Alliance offers a range of guidance for care providers regarding EU Exit including links to:

  • Government guidance for the health and care sector regarding. continuity of supplies, recognition of qualifications etc
  • Using personal data after transition
  • Guidance for adult social care providers on the EU settlement scheme
  • Information on the new points-based immigration scheme and adult social care
  • Information for employers and individuals applying for the EU settlement scheme.

Helpful videos for providers

Support available

  • Translated communication materials and EU Settlement Scheme guidance is available on GOV.UK. Guidance has been translated into 26 EEA languages and Welsh.
  • Applicants can contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre helpline if they need help or information about their EU Settlement Scheme application.From inside the UK: 0300 123 7379
    From outside the UK: +44 (0)203 080 0010

If you run residential care services, you might want to:

  • Arrange a residents and family meeting to share information about the EU Settlement Scheme, how to apply and what advice might be available locally. You might also like to use this meeting to tell residents what you’re doing to support staff from the EU.
  • Print leaflets and materials to give to residents, their next-of-kin, and friends. Information is available in a range of languages.
  • Provide supervised access to computers during set hours to enable residents to apply to the scheme with support from their family or friends if needed.
  • Local organisations that can help. Visit Get help applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you run home care services, you might want to:

  • write to or email the people who use your services, and their family or friends, sharing web links to official Government advice or printouts, and information about any local advisers such as Age UK who can support them with their application. You can search for local organisations by postcode or see a range of national organisations that can help. Visit Get help applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • follow up with them once they’ve received their email or letter – if English isn’t their first language, they might not fully understand what they need to do.
  • ensure your staff are aware of the information being sent to the people they support.
  • Home care or live-in-care providers who have limited face-to-face contact with staff might want to consider phone calls, emails or texts to staff, with scheduled slots for them to visit the office to complete their application if unable to do so at home.
  • Some live-in carers might live in the UK for short periods of time each year. You should encourage them to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and to continue to work for you and return to the UK after an assignment. You should support them to get the proof that they need to show that they meet the residence requirements.

EU Settlement Scheme social media assets

These EU settlement scheme social media graphics are available to download. You can also view sample social media posts with key messaging about the EU Settlement Scheme to share on your channels alongside the social media graphic.

Preparing for a possible change in the EU’s Data Adequacy status for the UK

There may be changes in our arrangements and agreements on data security with EU countries. The Care Quality Commission and Care Providers Alliance has written to care providers regarding the UK becoming a “third country” for data protection purposes with a joint briefing intended to help with contingency planning for an adequacy decision not being reached by 31 December 2020. This will only happen if an adequacy decision is not reached with the EU. The steps you can take to check whether your organisation has information or data communication or storage arrangements with EU countries and to manage any changes in data storage and communication agreements are explained in Guidance for health and social care organisations: end of transition period data preparedness from Department of Health and Social Care.


The Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) has organised a series of webinars to help you get more information on the EU settlement scheme, so you can assist people who use your services to submit their application.