Help Us Help You – Cervical Screening Campaign Easy Read and BSL Resources
The Department of Health and Social Care, with the support of NHS England and NHS Improvement, has launched the latest Help Us Help You – Cervical Screening Campaign, to highlight the benefits of cervical screening and remind people that it can help stop cancer before it starts
We are asking for your help to communicate the important campaign messages to your audiences and availability of resources and alternative formats including BSL and easy read materials. And we are particularly asking for your help as we are keen to reach disabled women and people with a cervix, especially those with a learning disability as they are less likely to attend screening.
The campaign encourages those eligible for screening – women and people with a cervix aged 25-64 – to attend screening with the key campaign messaging: Don’t ignore your cervical screening invite. Two women die every day from cervical cancer, but getting your screening can help stop it before it starts. And remember, if you missed your last one, book an appointment with your GP practice now.
We would be grateful if you could help communicate these messages and reach people who might otherwise miss it.
Full details including a toolkit, posters, digital assets and formats including easy read, large print, audio, braille and BSL versions to empower women and people with a cervix to attend their cervical screening by providing reassurance, addressing misconceptions and increasing motivation to book an appointment when invited are available on the PHE Campaign Resources Centre (CRC) at: campaignresources.phe.gov.uk
Assets for people with a learning disability:
– an easy read style poster featuring a woman with a learning disability with easier to understand words including saying ‘smear test’ instead of ‘cervical screening’
– easy read social statics – 16×9 and 1×1 for signposting to the easy read leaflet (to be used with the easy read link bit.ly/smear-test-easy-read )
– an easy read leaflet which explains why cervical screening is important and what happens at the appointment can be downloaded on the ‘Further help and support’ pages at www.nhs.uk/cervicalscreening or at bit.ly/smear-test-easy-read
– additional easy read assets can be downloaded via the website and include a Beyond Words picture book and another great easy read and film by Jo’s Trust.
Assets with BSL
– a film with BSL featuring Dr Zoe Williams speaking to some amazing women about why it’s important to attend cervical screening when invited, and to answer their questions about screening. Watch the 3m36s video with BSL here https://youtu.be/nmLvYaMs4S8
– the full film and a 1m and 15s version for social use can be downloaded here: https://we.tl/t-FYZpOur4EQ